Dental veneers are specially crafted porcelain covers that fit perfectly over the surface of your own tooth. They can be used to cover one or multiple teeth depending on the problem they’re fixing.
This ultrathin piece of porcelain is custom made to fit your tooth or teeth specifically and a special bonding agent is used to attach it to your tooth surface. This ensures that it will not fall off when you’re eating. It adds strength to the tooth and also improves the colour.
Dental veneers are crafted to resemble natural teeth and will not be noticeable as being different to your own natural teeth when you smile.
Dental veneers can be used to hide many dental imperfections like:
- Teeth that have spaces between them or are misaligned for any reason.
- Teeth that become damaged due to injury, like broken or chipped teeth.
- Discoloured teeth- there are many reasons teeth lose their brightness like certain medications, some types of teeth fillings can cause the teeth to appear discoloured, the natural aging process, etc.
- Abnormally shaped teeth- teeth can be uneven, the surfaces may be irregular, etc.
Types of veneers:
How are veneers attached?
- The process usually takes about two appointments with your dentist depending on the type of veneer being attached.
- The correct shade of veneer is chosen to match the other teeth in your mouth.
- The surface of the tooth is specially prepared for the veneer. A small amount of tooth enamel may be removed from your tooth so that the tooth does not appear too bulky after the veneer is attached.
- A bonding agent is applied to the tooth surface and the veneer is carefully fixed in the correct position. A special light is used to harden the bond to ensure a permanent and strong attachment.
How to care for veneers?
They don’t require any special cleaning. Just stick to your normal dental care routine of brushing at least twice per day and flossing regularly. You can prevent staining by avoiding excessive coffee and other staining foods and beverages.
A good tip is to brush your teeth after you’ve consumed anything that can be potentially staining.
If you take care of your veneers, they should keep your smile sparkling and bright for up to 20 years.
Make an appointment today and one of our Dubai dentists will advise you.